Friday, April 25, 2008

Admissions Admission

I love admissions conferences with prospective families. I seem to find myself either impressed with parents' thoughtfulness and honesty or completely shocked by their absolute absence of tact and grace.

At today's conference we hosted a lovely family. They asked all the right questions, were able to clearly and succinctly tell me what they wanted, and established an excellent rapport with myself and our faculty. Although we currently don't have space for a new child in the fifth grade, I'll probably go completely out of my way to try to figure out how we can make a space for them here at our school.

I look forward to the next admissions conference. It may be a completely different experience, and if I'm lucky, it will be someone who shows up late, asks ridiculous questions, shares outright judgments, and makes outrageous demands. That's my favorite kind of meeting; and no, I'm not joking.

If I know anything about myself, it's that I revel in being able to pass judgment on ludicrous behavior. Sure, it's the kid who suffers in the end, but the drama surrounding a visit by unfit parents is downright intoxicating at times.

Pretty sick of me, don't you think?

No comments: