Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Let's Play the Faculty Shuffle

That'll teach me to get complacent.

I can't believe I thought we'd actually retain all of our faculty heading into the next academic year, but I did. Two days ago I was approached by our beloved middle school math teacher who advised me I'd better start looking for a replacement. I'm really not bitter about it, honestly, because he's an excellent teacher and he's only pursuing his dream, but the timing could not have been worse.

But I guess that's just how it is.

So now I'm faced with finding just the right replacement at this late stage of the game, and I must determine how I must play Faculty Shuffle - the process where we move folks around to try and create just the right fit where needed.

This is not one of my favorite annual dilemmas, because Faculty Shuffle is a political minefield. Sometimes things work out, but oftentimes they simply blow up in your face.

Fun stuff.

No comments: